Tuesday 7 February 2012

Tempest tossed and sore afflicted

It's absolutely ages since I posted anything by Robert Louis Stevenson, and I'm strongly tempted to start posting his beautiful love poems all over again; but here instead is a little poem based on the words of Christ in Matthew 11:28-9 and John 14:1-2. You might like to compare it with William Chatterton Dix's hymn inspired by the same passages.


Tempest tossed and sore afflicted, sin defiled and care oppressed,
Come to me, all ye that labour; come, and I will give ye rest.
Fear no more, O doubting-hearted; weep no more, O weeping eye!
Lo, the voice of your redeemer; lo, the songful morning near.

Here one hour you toil and combat, sin and suffer, bleed and die;
In my father's quiet mansion soon to lay your burden by.
Bear a moment, heavy laden, weary hand and weeping eye.
Lo, the feet of your deliverer; lo, the hour of freedom here.


An alternate version often printed alongside this one:

Come to me, all ye that labour; I will give your spirits rest;
Here apart in starry quiet I will give you rest.
Come to me, ye heavy laden, sin defiled and care opprest,
In your father's quiet mansions, soon to prove a welcome guest.
But an hour you bear your trial, sin and suffer, bleed and die;
But an hour you toil and combat here in day's inspiring eye.
See the feet of your deliverer; lo, the hour of freedom nigh.

No comments: