Thursday 9 February 2012

In Tenebris II: 'one born out of due time'


More Thomas Hardy, following on from In Tenebris I.


Considerabam ad dexteram, et videbam; et non erat qui cognosceret me... Non est qui requirat animam meam. - Psalm 142:5

['I looked also upon my right hand, and saw there was no man that would know me; no man cared for my soul.']


When the clouds' swoln bosoms echo back the shouts of the many and strong
That things are all as they best may be, save a few to be right ere long,
And my eyes have not the vision in them to discern what to these is so clear,
The blot seems straightway in me alone; one better he were not here.

The stout upstanders say, All's well with us; ruers have nought to rue!
And what the potent say so oft, can it fail to be somewhat true?
Breezily go they, breezily come; their dust smokes around their career,
Till I think I am one born out of due time, who has no calling here.

Their dawns bring lusty joys, it seems; their evenings all that is sweet;
Our times are blessed times, they cry: Life shapes it as is most meet,
And nothing is much the matter; there are many smiles to a tear;
Then what is the matter is I, I say. Why should such a one be here? ...

Let him in whose ears the low-voiced Best is killed by the clash of the First,
Who holds that if way to the Better there be, it exacts a full look at the Worst,
Who feels that delight is a delicate growth cramped by crookedness, custom and fear,
Get him up and be gone as one shaped awry; he disturbs the order here.

1 comment:

http://kjgoodwin@blogspot.com/ said...

It has been a number of years since you posted this but I was glad to come across your blog. I am a doctoral student in social work. I am extensively exploring the writings of Yalom and the meaninglessness of life. I love how Hardy's poetry fits so well with existential psychotherapy. Thank you for this post.